Publications - Academic Journal Publication
These are a list of publications not related to racism, safety or the Shipman Inquiry. You can also download a copy of my PhD Thesis from this page.
- Crilly M, Esmail A. Randomised controlled trial of a hypothyroid educational booklet to improve thyroxine adherence. British Journal of General Practice 2005; 55: 362-368.
- Webb R, Esmail A, Richardson J. Uptake of cervical screening by place of birth and ethnicity. A population based cross-sectional study. Journal of Public Health Medicine. Journal of Public Health. Sep 2004; 26 (3): 293-296.
- Adams SM, Jones DR, Esmail A, Mitchell EA. What affects the age of first sleeping through the night? Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 2004. Mar 40 (3):96-101.
- Gavin M, Esmail A. Solving the recruitment crisis in UK general practice; time to consider Physician Assistants. Social Policy and Administration 2002; 36 (1): 76-79.
- Webb R, Esmail A. Lessons from the dead. An analysis of deaths in an inner city general practice. British Journal of General Practice 2002; 52: 296-299.
- Williams, T., May, C. & Esmail, A. Limitations of patient satisfaction studies in telehealthcare: A systematic review of the literature. Telemedicine Journal and E-Health. Vol 7(4): 2001; 293-316.
- Williams T.L, May C, Esmail, A, Griffiths, C, Shaw N, Fitzgerald D, Stewart E, Mould M, Morgan M, Pickup L. & Kelly, S. Teledermatology: Patient satisfaction and quality of life. British Journal of Dermatology Vol 145(6): 2001; 911-917.
- May C, Gask L, Atkinson T, Ellis N, Mair F, Esmail A. Resisting and promoting new technologies in clinical practice: the case of telepsychiatry. Social Science and Medicine 2001; 52(12) 1889-901.
- Esmail A, Quayle JA, Roberts C. Assessing the appropriateness of paediatric hospital admissions in the UK. Journal of Public Health Medicine 2000: 22(2) 231-238.
- Esmail A. Development of the Paediatric Appropriateness Evaluation Protocol for use in the UK. Journal of Public Health Medicine 2000: 22 (2) 224-230.
- Gabby M, Clarke S, Willert E. Esmail A. Shared care methadone clinics: a survey of patient satisfaction, behaviour change and staff views. Addiction Research 1999: 7(2) 129-147.
- May C, Gask L, Ellis N, Atkinson T, Mair F, Smith C, Pidd S, Esmail A, Telepsychiatary evaluation in North West England: preliminary results. Telemedicine and Telecare. 2000; 6 (Supplement 1); 20-22.
- Gilmour E, Campbell SM, Loane MA, Esmail A, Griffiths CEM, Roland MO, Parry E, Corbett R, Eedy D, Gore HE, Mathews C, Steele K, Wootton R. Comparison of teleconsultations and face-to face consultations. Preliminary results of the UK multicentre Teledermatology Study. British Journal of Dermatology 1998; 139: 81-87.
- Esmail A, Warburton, Bland, Anderson. Regional variations in deaths from volatile substance abuse in Great Britain. Addiction (1997) 92(12), 1765-1771.
- Clements MS, Mitchell EA, Wright SP, Esmail A, Jones DR, Ford RPK. Influences on breastfeeding in Southeast England. Acta Paediatr 1997; 86: 51-6.
- Mitchell EA, Esmail A, Jones DR, Clements C. Do differences in prevalence of risk factors explain the higher mortality from sudden infant death syndrome in New Zealand compared to the UK. New Zealand Medical Journal 1996; 109: 352-355.
- Esmail A, Lambert P, Jones D, Mitchell E. Prevalence of risk factors for sudden infant death syndrome in South East England before the 1991 national 'Back to Sleep' health education campaign. J Public Health Med 1995;17:282-290.
- Esmail A, Meyer L, Pottier A, Wright S. Deaths from volatile substance abuse in those under 18 years: results from a national epidemiological study. Arch Dis Childhood 1993;69:356-360.
- Esmail A, Jones D. Monitoring outcomes and evaluation of a national intervention campaign for the reduction of SIDS. Current Paediatrics 1992;2 (No.4):219-220.
- Esmail A, Anderson HR, Ramsey J, Pottier A, Taylor J. Controlling deaths from volatile substance abuse - the effects of legislation. BMJ 1992;305:692.
Book Chapters and Other Publications
- Esmail A, Prostate Screening: A decision analysis. In: The evidence–based Primary Care Handbook. Edited by Mark Gabby. RSM Press. London 1999.
- Anderson H, Britton J, Esmail A, Hollowell J, Strachan D. Respiratory disease and sudden infant death syndrome. In: Botting B, ed. The health of our children-Decennial supplement. London: HMSO, 1995;113-131.
- Anderson H, Esmail A, Hollowell J, Littlejohns P, Strachan D. Lower respiratory disease. In: Stevens A, Raftery J, eds. Health care needs assessment. Oxford: Radcliffe Medical Press, 1994;